[Xylo-SDR] First Xylo Teamspeak Forum

Folks

Had a good group discussing the Xylo-sdr project this afternoon at 17:00 utc.

Several interest areas were discussed including accurate and precise LO correction (or equivalent) and A/D conversion for managing audio digitizing to the radio or for that matter any audio processing role.

Bill KD5TFD again asked the question, basically "Are we wasting our time". We do have some really good commercial sound card choices at the moment both USB and PCI. They really do work well.

Cecil responded with about 6 reasons why we aren't wasting our time. # six is "Because it's fun".

If we have the mix of folks within the Xylo group forum to get to an FPGA based, multipurpose end product at a reasonable $ cost then it is not a waste of time, and I think it will be fun. Phil mentions that we should not cut corners in design, and I am in total agreement. It should be as good or better than the best sound card out there and we control the design, so we can customize what we want.

A good starting point, since it is the most discussed, and has immediate application is designing a board with an A/D converter, and audio codec to do the receive audio digitization realizing the published specs, and the transmit side audio.

The TI chips mentioned by Phil Covington at the moment are the best choice, however Bob - N4HY suggests we not be closed minded, and take another look at potential candidates. So be it. Phil Covington has done quite a bit of study and came up with the TI combo. Before we put pencil to paper and design to copper, let's take another week's look at what is out there.

This is a volunteer effort with a lot of qualified people participating. It is not a race to go to market, however to be useful it really needs to be a product. Probably needs to have a target price in the neighborhood of a good sound card, yet have many other features added as modules (Radio control, whole radio in the project, precise-accurate frequency standard etc.

http://flex-radio-friends.net/AVI/tsforums/xyloaudio12-17-05.mp3

Looking forward to more discussions and fun watching it evolve.

Eric - AA4SW