Re: [Xylo-SDR] Firewire, DSP and FPGA on one module

On 12/18/05, Robert McGwier <rwmcgwier@comcast.net> wrote:

> The 16 bit fixed point DSP chip could be an issue which is dependent on
> how it is used.  Dealing with fixed point is an art few can master.  I
> ..
> ..
> This has 50K.  So that is a win plus it has the 18x18 multipliers.  All
> positives.  It is my personal opinion that we are better served at this
> time by mostly avoiding the use of DSP chips, especially fixed point
> ones and to rely on our ability to speedily process data on our modern
> desktops.  The SDR-1000 DSP core,  written by AB2KT and I,  recently was

Bob,

Everything agreed. But for those folks who are interested to see a
radio as a radio - packaged in a small box - DSP seem to be the only
way out as of now. Also there are some nice TI DSPs out there which
draws very less power, like the C55x for instance. If there were a
free toolchain available for them, I would have definitely choosen
them for a DSP-based SDR instead of the PIC-A-STAR that I am building
right now. There are very very powerful devices. If we have the luxury
of a powerful development environment like GNU/Linux and a free
toolchain which has a community behind it, nothing to beat it.

--
   73, Ramakrishnan - VU3RDD