From: xylo-sdr-bounces@lists.ae5k.us [mailto:xylo-sdr-bounces@lists.ae5k.us] On Behalf Of Leon Heller
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2006 10:28 AM
To: Xylo-SDR Discussion
Subject: Re: [Xylo-SDR] NRFC - (No Request For Comment)

----- Original Message -----

From: Eric Ellison

Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2006 3:06 PM

Steve

Unfortunately not at the moment, I’ll see what I can do. To get started on daughter card design, the important thing in my description below is that the real estate we have to use is going to be 2” by 4 Inches, with the 96 pin connector on one 4 inch side (Standard EuroCard width and about ¼ the depth) any connectors to the real world on the other 4 inch side which protrude through the front panel. Maximum height of components on the board must be < .75 inches per original suggestion. I estimate raw costs on manufacturing a daughter board will be about 16 – 20 bux depending on quantity.

I am still googling enclosures so the height of the backplane is still in question. I am trying for Phil’s 4 board selection. Also motherboard stacking is still in question, but will probably come out the bottom or the top of the enclosure. That might be left on the MB in final design, but inaccessible from this particular enclosure.

If an enclosure with vertical as well as horizontal slides is chosen, any additional length in the enclosure (i.e. 4 inches in a standard eurocard enclosure) would have vertically mounted boards to hold such larger components as power regulators.

I’ll try to get a concept drawing.

I have found a Rose+Bopla “Build a Box” which fits our approximate requirements, but I am still searching. Also I have not found a distributor for these enclosures. Anything OEM tends to be expensive, in small quantities.

http://www.rose-bopla.com/PMX/RSBPCatg.nsf/65680fe57e02219d85256bbc00506958/e5046498ec7af42885256bdc00516cdc?OpenDocument

Vero Electronics might make something suitable:

They've been in the Eurocard business for years.

73, Leon