Re: [Xylo-SDR] Comments on Board sizes & Eagle Light edition

I pretty much agree with your comments. The approximate 2" length was chosen because of cost factors, I would prefer to stick with the standards of 1/2 and full size when possible. The 2" board will be for a kit they are putting together for those that want to experiment, and will be low cost. As of now the case that is being looked at is longer and will accommodate longer boards.

I also have a copy of Eagle Professional that was given to me, and I will be trying to learn it over the next few weeks. The libraries available are awesome, but it's expensive software. The Xylo group has chosen KiCAD, a free PCB layout package as the means of exchanging drawings, I will play with it after I can feel comfortable with Eagle.

I would not worry too much about 2" boards, because you can always in your own projects use what you want, but the eventual goal will be to have a FPGA, a A/D and D/A boards available in the 2" format, whatever you add to that mix will be up to you. I will want a QSD board with transmitter functions myself after the initial boards are available.