From: xylo-sdr-bounces@lists.ae5k.us [mailto:xylo-sdr-bounces@lists.ae5k.us] On Behalf Of KD5NWA
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2006 2:18 PM
To: Xylo-SDR Discussion
Subject: Re: [Xylo-SDR] FPGA pin names in schematic

You didn't find it because I misspelled the company name, it's Digilent Inc., sorry about that, below is a link to the company. They make the boards for Xilinx and Xilinx has a real nice deal on development boards.

Your get two boards with this offer for $99 from Xilinx.

The chip is made by Xilinx and is a superior chip to the one used in the Xylo board

< http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xebiz/designResources/ip_product_details.jsp?key=HW-SPAR3-CPLD-DK >

You get a Spartan 3 200K development board, it has the following features;
200K logic cells.
500 MHz internal logic speed.
50 MHz clock module built in
12 high speed multipliers built in.
1/4 meg bits internal ram
1MB of high speed external RAM, that can be accessed as 8, 16 or 32 bit 10 ns memory.
4 seven segment displays.
8 individual LED's
8 switches
4 buttons
1 Optional extra clock module socket.
3 40 pin connector for use in connecting to outside devices or boards, boards are available from Digilent.
1 RS-232 Port
1 VGA video port
PS/2 keyboard/mouse port
serial programming and JTAG connectors

You also get a CPLD development board for the $99 deal with two different CPLD chips on it. A high capacity Cool Runner II chip with 256 cells and a XC9572 chip also.

You also get JTAG cables, power supply, CD with development software, and CD's full of tutorials, and sample projects.

The CPLD board can connect to the Spartan 3  directly, or to another device via a cable to be a smart I/O board. The CPLD board has a large breadboard area on it.

A real good deal for $99

You can get plug in boards and devices from the following folks, such as Ethernet, USB, A/D converters, DAC's, motor drivers, etc;

< http://www.digilentinc.com/ >

Digilent are the people who make these boards for Xylinx so they have special versions available, but you do not get the CPLD development board. The Spartan 3 board I bought uses the 1000K chip instead of the 200K, it has guess what, 5X the logic resources. It also has 2X multipliers, 2X internal RAM. I will be using it for developing CPU's and DSP engines, which is a interest of mine, it cost $150.

< http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?Nav1=Products&Nav2=Programmable&Prod=S3BOARD >

The only problem and it's a minor one, is that is made by Xilinx not Altera, most people on the group use Altera so they are not using the same software that comes with the kit. However the software are somewhat similar, and both chips and development software use the same languages to program the chip, HDL, VHDL, and Verilog and those languages are supported by both development packages.

Hope I didn't overload you with too much information.