Re: [Xylo-SDR] Teamspeak FPGA discussion - Have we paintedourselves into a corner? Boxed ourselves in?

Leon

Just a quick comment going back through the messages.

In this country the military has almost unlimited funding and lotsa free samples. The Wolfson rep and distributor when he came and gave me the 20 Wolfson chips, showed me a box of connectors which would make the din 41612 look like a “Sick Puppy”. Some of them ranged into the low triple digits in cost, but they WERE beautiful! We are not the military, so we gotta be thinking universal, cheap, and off the shelf. We MUST have universal appeal, not universal cost and as little individual outlay as possible. Also we are designing a prototyping system which becomes a product NOT a $2000+ FPGA OR $200 dollar Xylo board which have no group appeal beyond ‘fooling around’, wether commercial or hobbiest. We will survive as a group or not survive at all, each with different and valuable qualifications and interests as to where this can go. Otherwise your hard work with the “Leon<–> Lion FPGA” part goes for naught, and becomes just another competitor on the Xylo market. This group formed rapidly and was given impressive resources like SVN, Web Page, Forum, Reflector in a matter of a week. NOT to forget Bill – KD5TFD and Phil VK6APH who are not following the “enclosure” stuff carefully, but dead bugging and proving that IT WILL WORK!  Astounding! But why? Because they saw something of universal appeal and design and contributed their non-fpga expertise. To steal a line from Jim Lux about absolutes: “What makes you think that the DIN41612 is the ONLY way to go?”

I got about 100+ of inexpensive L-brackets which fit perfectly into a PC which I can drill and file out to accommodate a typeB usb connector SMB etc. I’ll givem away. Coupled with a “Phil-Bill” board the ‘front panel’ travels with the board to any slot.

No disrespect, but we can really do something here as a group with brilliant talents, as a group effort and not a ‘one off’.

Thanks

Eric