Re: [Xylo-SDR] Some design thoughts requested

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, January 02, 2006 11:04 AM
Subject: Re: [Xylo-SDR] Some design thoughts requested

Leon

Yes, this does make it smaller and also a sturdier positive contact mount. This is the way Phil Covington has designed his HPSDR, I think he is using 40 pin types. My feeling is that 40 pins is not enough, especially if we ground every other pin to try to make it more noise immune. That also grounds the backplane side of each board reducing noise. In that case, I really don?t think that 40 pins is enough, especially if we use 2 pins for each raw power supply (2 or 3) + Grounds. Two 40 pin connectors (like HDD connectors could be stacked together. I?m not sure how many there are on PCI but will take a look. The new PCI Express or mini PCI? Is higher density, but more expensive.

Just thinking out loud. We need something, especially if we want to mount a ?radio? board. PCI gives us the ?L Bracket edge? for connections to the outside world. But it is a little big.

64-pins is a standard DIN41612 connector (two rows). They are available in straight and right angle configurations. I used them on an Altera Flex board I designed some years ago.