Re: [Xylo-SDR] RFC - Powers

Looks quite useful to get started and experiment.

At 07:35 PM 1/15/2006, you wrote:
Cecil

Well for external, and for experimentation I was thinking something like this. Ya can?t beat the price.

http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=15740+PS

I?m Googling an internal equivalent.

Eric

From: xylo-sdr-bounces@lists.ae5k.us [ mailto:xylo-sdr-bounces@lists.ae5k.us] On Behalf Of KD5NWA
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2006 7:36 PM
To: Xylo-SDR Discussion
Subject: Re: [Xylo-SDR] RFC - Powers

Sorry I didn't address inside/outside for the power source. If the power requirements are modest, then an internal power supply is desirable from a wiring point. A small switcher specially when fed by +13.8V, with plenty of noise reducing techniques could live inside the box without major problems.

Also if the power requirements are modest then there is a second alternative, I have several wall warts that put out +5 volts at 5A, +-12 at 1.5A. These came from equipment that was trashed at work, so something similar should be available. This has the advantage of removing a source of electrical noise from the box, and a source of heat that can make the oscillators drift, while keeping it to one power cord into the box.

If you desire to have a HF amplifier in the box of modest power, there is little choice but to have an external power supply, the box is too small to handle a lot of heat.