Re: [Xylo-SDR] Lionheart Block diagram v1.3

Phil

...... I have found an RS232 port to be invaluable as debugging tool when
developing the FPGA code.  Whilst not a patch on Altera's 'signal tap' it is

still very useful.......

Most definitely a good suggestion. Must come to the 'outside world
connections" on the Lionheart.

------------------------------
Phil comment:
With regards to my question on the USB connector.  I am assuming that the
boards and backplane will mount in some form of enclosure and that the front

edges of the boards will not necessarily be close to the front panel.
------------------------------

Wrong assumption. The front edges of all boards, going to the 'outside
world' by current specification MUST come out in a single plane so would be
VERY inadvisable to recess this plane in an enclosure. They are DESIGNED to
be exposed and utilize the 'single plane' Current design parameters define
the height as 100 mm. Since we now are no longer specifying an enclosure,
(but making it easy to mount in a PC enclosure) the top of the board
opposite the buss connector and the rear of the board, opposite the 'real
world connectors' are variable. I suggest we keep the top standard 100 mm
and expand the rear to anything the designer wants. The rear does not have
to be in one plane and is on the 'inside world' of any enclosure. Anything
you want to mount will inside a case will come from this side.
In which case if we have a header on the Lionheart board then we can use a
standard PC cable to place the USB socket on the panel. Same goes for the
other connectors.

If we do mount the USB connector on the PCB then is there a standard cable
that can extend the socket to the front panel?

Only way I can see this is a connector on the back of the board(s).

Eric