[Xylo-SDR] Admin: first of month woes

Just a short administrative note here about this reflector / discussion
list...

If you haven't noticed, it is the first of the month.  The software
program used to run this list (and many other lists too) is called
Mailman.  Well, on the first of the month, the Mailman is programmed to
send out password reminders to subscribers.  This means a separate email
is sent out to each and every subscriber (instead of allowing the
message to be grouped together with different recipients at the same
ISP) ... and this all means that thousands of messages are in the
outgoing queue ... backed up terribly.

And of course, this means response time slows to a crawl until the
backlog in the queue eventually takes care of itself.

I've made two suggestions to our host: (1) send out those messages at
lowest priority, and (2) stagger the monthly reminders throughout the
month.  Maybe they might listen.

Meanwhile ... if you are impatient, you can look in the archives for the
messages you haven't gotten yet, since the incoming postings are not
held up and placed in the archive almost immediately.  And just take it
easy of the first of every month ;-)

Oh, by the way, I've turned off the option to send monthly password
reminders to our list.  That will be a few less for Mailman to do each
month.

73,
Don AE5K
List Administrator

--
Confidence is the feeling you have before you really understand the problem.