[Xylo-SDR] Janus board connectors

[Background - the Janus board is a high performance A/D and D/A converter that connects to the PC via USB. It will provide full duplex operation at up to 192k samples per second at 24 bits. The hardware is based on an FX2 USB interface feeding an FPGA and high performance A/D and D/A converters. The FPGA will also be used in conjunction with a GPS 1pps clock, or stabilized oscillator, to enable any frequency error and drift of the 200MHz DDS clock to be corrected within the PowerSDR software. The hardware and software for the project is being developed by Bill KD5TFD and Phil VK6APH and will be open source.]

We have now successfully tested the TLV320AIC23B as a microphone amplifier and Audio out/Headphone amplifier for the Janus USB high speed A/D and D/A board.

We need to decide what connectors we want on the edge of the board and how many.

The latest block diagram is here:

< http://www.hamsdr.com/dnld.aspx?id=139 >

Since the board is 100mm (~4") wide then we are a little tight for space.

I suggest 3.5mm jack sockets for the microphone and headphones. A bias voltage is available for Electret microphones.

I also suggest using 3.5mm stereo jacks for the high speed A/D inputs. Since all the A/Ds we are considering can take a balanced input a stereo plug will provide a balanced input and a mono plug will earth one input for use with unbalanced inputs. This does mean that we will need two leads from the radio as apposed to the single stereo jack at present.

We can either use 3.5mm jacks for the remainder of the sockets or consider RCA's.

Is it worth going to gold plated RCA sockets - what experience do the audiophiles have with these?

Some of the options are:

1.. Don't mount the connectors on the PCB but use a breakout box like the D44
 2.. Don't provide balanced inputs for the  high speed A/D converter
3.. Don't fit line in on the Tx A/D - do we need this for digital modes now we have VAC? 4.. Don't fit line out, use the headphone out to drive external speakers etc 5.. Use stacked RCA sockets - but that will increase the height of the board
 6.. Use smaller alternatives to RCA sockets  - DIN perhaps?
At the moment my preference is to use 3.5mm jacks for all connectors.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

73's  Phil.VK6APH