Re: [Xylo-SDR] Fundamental Atlas design decisions

Hi Ray,

Warning:  I haven't finished my coffee yet this morning...

I think the quantity 4 plug-in boards for the Atlas was originally the
result looking at using an extruded case that we then dropped.   We
also had discussions of using the Aria case (which has 4 PCI slots on
the back).  I am not sure that four slots will be enough.  I would
like to see 6.  I am at work so I can't look at my Aria case - I am
not sure if there is room for a backplane with 6 slots - Can someone
check this?  The spacing of the boards was dictated by the PCI card
spacing.  If people are not going to use the Aria case then there is
no point letting it dictate the quantity of plug-in boards per
backplane. I also think that if we has 6 slots on the backplane we
could then drop the idea of expansion connectors on the backplane.
For special cases the plug-in boards could have a daughterboard header
allowing expansion as needed and special functions.

I like the stack-up that you mentioned if we are going to do a 4 layer
board with LVDS in the backplane.  In that case, I'd like to see 4
'lanes' or 'channels' of LVDS in the backplane.  I think the a max
clock speed spec of 200-250 MHz on the LVDS would be adequate.  With 4
 'lanes' we could have up to four high speed clocks between boards.

If we decide to not put LVDS on the backplane then I think we could
get by with a two layer board - top would be ground plane and bottom
would be signals/power.  That way we at least have a ground plane
between the bus and the plug-in boards for shielding.  Two layers
would be cheaper to make than 4 - it depends on how much we think we
need LVDS.

The bus needs to be generic enough to support other projects besides
Janus and the FPGA-USB board.  Lyle's suggestion of daisy-chaining a
few of the signal lines between boards is a good one.

73 de Phil C