Re: [Xylo-SDR] Backplane stuff... Need input...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Philip Covington" <p.covington@gmail.com>
To: "Xylo-SDR Discussion" <xylo-sdr@lists.ae5k.us>
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 8:12 PM
Subject: [Xylo-SDR] Backplane stuff... Need input...

Hi all,

I have been playing around with a Vero protoboard and six 96 pin
DIN41612 connectors this afternoon.  Here is what I came up with.

For a board without provisions for card guides:

3.94" W x 5.75" L    6 slots with 0.800" spacing

For a board with card guides (such as Bivar which are 0.600" wide):

5.00" W x 5.75" L   6 slots with 0.800 spacing

Both are allowing for room on the ends for the ATX power supply style
connector and some LEDs.

Question:

Do we want/need card guides?

Pro:  Card guides will lock the boards in place.

Con: By using card guides we restrict access to the side edges of the
plug-in 3U100 boards.  We would only have clear access to the top
edge.  There would also have to be a keep out area on the 3U100
plug-in boards to accommodate the rail slots in the card guides.

I am leaning towards recommending that we do not use card guides.
They are nice for longer boards, but for our 3U100 form factor I don't
think we need them.

My old FPGA system that used 100 mm x 80 mm cards was quite rigid with two cards plugged together.

Leon
---
[This E-mail has been scanned for viruses but it is your responsibility to maintain up to date anti virus software on the device that you are
currently using to read this email. ]