Re: [Xylo-SDR] ATLAS Decisions to be made

Ray et.al.

Thanks, glad I read more messages, excellent summary, let’s vote.

Let me play out 1 further review:    Board size.

Project board size was originally mandated at 100 x 100 mm but was based on our discussions of a ‘standard’ enclosure which had 100 (+) mm card slide groves and a manufactured depth to the backplane from the front of the enclosure of 100 mm when card was seated. Pretty much a VME standard with a fixed depth so all cards would project out of  a ‘front panel’ with connectors on it. Efficient but customized.

The ATX power supply and computer enclosure packaging IHMO was a GREAT idea. We were getting into ‘custom everything’, and since we ARE hobbyists, the more we customize the more burden for the group to produce ‘low quantity higher priced customized circuits’.  I’t would be nice NOT to have to be discussing an Atlas board in lieu of an inexpensive PC backplane, for that reason, but the decision has been made to produce our backplane.

If we stick with the “computer enclosure” scenario then the cards can be the height of a standard L-Bracket (? mm) and ANY depth. The distance between the connector on the Atlas board and the L-bracket in a computer case is the only strict dimension.

I’ll make this statement one more time, as someone who is willing to produce and distribute ‘kits?’ for these projects, and having done 3 SDR -1000 “Tony – Kits”

We are a SMALL but obviously very creative group. We are self funding. Generic design with ‘off the shelf’ parts, without sacrificing our goals is ESSENTIAL. Universal appeal of any project we produce ESPECIALLY the FPGA board and the Atlas BUSS makes the difference between success or failure of the project. Losing to a single board custom design for all projects, each with it’s own FPGA. We have the choice here.

Comments embedded