Re: [Xylo-SDR] Cyclone II board

See Chuck Adams (k7qo@commspeed.net) explanation of the Manhatten style construction. This is a better construction method than "ugly" construction.

Jack B. "gunny" McAlister   KE7FMD   gunny@cableone.net

-------Original Message-------

Date: 12/11/05 12:38:18
Subject: Re: [Xylo-SDR] Cyclone II board

----- Original Message -----
From: KD5NWA
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2005 7:13 PM

Your board sounds good, and that is a good price for the chip.

All this new technology has one drawback, you must get a PCB board made because it's impossible to breadboard without a PCB to solder the chips to.

Right now when I need a PCB board, I sketch it with pencil to figure the line layout, then use Photoshop to create the 10X art, which after verification I print on a piece of photo paper and use heat transfer to a PCB board.

It works well for small boards, but it's a very tedious method to make a larger or complicated board.

I guess I should have learned to use a Software package like Kicad or Eagle some time back when I had no need for them, so now I would be able to lay out my own PCB's. Hindsight is almost always 20/20 :'(

For simple home-made boards I use Pulsonix to print a transparency on JetStar film in an inkjet printer and use it with positive resist coated material, exposing to UV, developing in sodium hydroxide solution, and etching in ferric chloride. More complicated boards I get made for me from the Gerber output files. It isn't expensive, even for four-layer boards.

Leon

FREE Christmas Emoticons for your email!