Re: [Xylo-SDR] Earlier Wolfson vs TI Discussions

Eric are you trying to be Santa and the Grinch at the same time? Split personality maybe? :-P

I want to play with the Wolfson chips, but I agree with Phil that the TI chips are a more practical way to go. Next week I'll be trying to acquire a set of the TI chips and the associated parts to make the thing fly.

Many of the points he made need to be discussed, so maybe Friday or Saturday we can all chime in. The reason I bought a Xylo, is not because I think that is what we will end up with, but as a training vehicle so I can learn to program the Altera chip along with the group. At some point we need to come up with a strategy of what the board will have, what is on what pins, ... etc, so we don't end up heading in different directions and different boards.

My preference would be as a group come up with a set of specs and have the board made and available so all that wish to participate have exactly the same hardware, and we can exchange programs with each other.

I really like the mother/daughter board arrangement because it makes the FPGA card, and a separate A/D, and D/A useful devices for multitudes of projects, let them talk to each other through I2C cable. This arrangement makes easier in the future to upgrade the part that needs it without throwing away everything.

I am convinced that if we create our own board it should be with the Cyclone II parts, the smallest member has 2X the speed, 2.5X LEs, 3X RAM, 2X PPL, 13 multipliers, and only cost $2 more than the Xylo chip in Qty 1.

Anyway enough ranting, I'll save it for the Teamspeak or Xylo forum.