Re: [Xylo-SDR] Contest Announcement

I see that there are dozens, if not hundreds, of fine entries to this
renaming contest.  Not!

As you know Eric, I agree with you that some renaming is highly desired,
the sooner the better.  We need to break the association with the Xylo
product and take on an identity of our own.

So, here's my contribution to maybe get the ball rolling and brain cells
stirred up:

Criteria: I believe that generally what we all are aiming for is an
easily reconfigurable system using software (i.e., use of a FPGA as a
major element) and a minimum of hardware changes.  In other words, very
similar to what SDR is to "radio".  But we envision further applications
besides just pure radio, as has already been mentioned a digital scope
and further digital sound applications.

So I propose a name of "SDx Group" (note creative use of caps and lower
case).  The "SD" portion standing for "Software Defined" and the "x"
could stand for several things:
   x - an unknown variable
   x - as in eXperimenter
   x - as in eXtension or eXtendable
   x - as in eXciting
   x - as in eXcellence

The name SDx is short and memorable.  It can easily be incorporated into
a logo.  I don't believe it interferes with existing uses of the
letters, but we would need to be careful about that with this suggestion
or any others.  It does not tie us with FPGA4FUN or the Xylo/Saxo
product or with Flex-Radio in any way.

At least maybe this suggestion will stir the pot and others will join in
with their own ideas.  It is important, in my opinion, that we do take
on a new name for the group soon.

73,
Don AE5K