I'm not sure that a group sat down and discussed the merits of one over the other, but the decision was derived at by a casual consensus of the group of persons that have experience in working with FPGA's. I believe that VHDL is more popular in Europe and Asia and Verilog is more popular in the colonies, and the colonist outnumbered the rest.

Since I am not familiar with either, it doesn't make a difference to me which one was chosen. No matter which way they go I would have to learn it. C or ADA they are both very wordy languages, C, because it needs a lot of statements to get anything done, ADA because a lot of conditions have to be stated so the proper code gets generated.

When stated that way the best one is the one that specifies the environment better so no mistakes are made, but I have to follow the group at this time since I will need all the tutoring I can get.

At 12:48 PM 12/11/2005, you wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "KD5NWA" <kd5nwa@cox.net>
To: "Xylo-SDR Discussion" <xylo-sdr@lists.ae5k.us>
Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2005 6:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Xylo-SDR] Your FPGA Code

> Thanks, this is the kind of tips that us rank amateurs need to keep
> us out of trouble.
>
> I have not seen Verilog code before, definitely very C'ish, which is
> good, but I can see that it will take a lot of code to get anything
> complicated done, so having a good foundation on how to write code
> that the compiler will not misunderstand is a good thing.

I prefer VHDL to Verilog, I find it more readable and it is arguably more
popular. It's based on Ada, whereas Verilog is similar to C, as you have
stated.

Leon

---
[This E-mail has been scanned for viruses but it is your responsibility
to maintain up to date anti virus software on the device that you are
currently using to read this email. ]