Re: [Xylo-SDR] Firewire, DSP and FPGA on one module

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert McGwier" <rwmcgwier@comcast.net>
To: "Xylo-SDR Discussion" <xylo-sdr@lists.ae5k.us>
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2005 4:11 PM
Subject: Re: [Xylo-SDR] Firewire, DSP and FPGA on one module

The TMS320C6713B DSK comes with free development tools but you need to
purchase the DSK.  I greatly prefer this chip to any of the
alternatives.  You can get it to run at 300 MHz and draw very small
power.  For most SDR applications,  you easily run entirely off on chip
memory.  It runs fast in float modes.  The DSK, which comes with
development tools  is $450 or so.   Lyle,  Howard Long (G3LVB),  Chuck
Green (N0ADI),  Frank Brickle (AB2KT), and I are working on hardware and
software using this part at its heart fir AMSAT SDR based transponders.

The drawback to the free development tools with the DSK is that you hope
you get a bug free version since it does not appear that they upgrade
the freeware once you have installed.

It's the same with the ADI Blackfin kit I've got, as well as the SHARC (32-bit floating-point DSP) kits, although the Stamp Blackfin kit comes with GNU tools. Blackfin is fixed-point, of course. It's very fast, though (500 MIPS or so) and could do floating-point in software at adequate speed for audio processing. That is what I did with the earlier ADSP-2187 system I worked with, it actually performed the required computations as fast as the Pentium used for developing the software.

Leon
---
[This E-mail has been scanned for viruses but it is your responsibility to maintain up to date anti virus software on the device that you are
currently using to read this email. ]