Re: [Xylo-SDR] Eurocard Cyclone II PCB

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lyle Johnson" <kk7p@wavecable.com>
To: "Xylo-SDR Discussion" <xylo-sdr@lists.ae5k.us>
Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2006 9:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Xylo-SDR] Eurocard Cyclone II PCB

3.  I have samples of the new Analog Devices AD9446 16 bit 100 MSPS A/D
convertor.  I was working with various QSD designs (trying to improve the
performance at 18+ MHz), but I have come to the conclusion that this is
becoming a waste of time with the new 16 bit high speed converters coming
out.  I think I am going to change the design of the HPSDR to use this 16
bit 100 MSPS A/D instead of a QSD based design.
I will use the Xilinx FPGA to act as a DDC (direct digital down
converter -
see AD6620).  So basically the RX chain will consist of a
AD9446 A/D and a Xilinx FPGA!  Can't get much simpler than that...

... I've got a couple of samples of the similar
14-bit ADCs, I should have ordered the 16-bit ones, instead. The former is
really intended for IF processing.

The December '05 QST has a review of the SDR-14, which uses a 14-bit ADC
sampling at 66 MHz and an AD6620 DDC.  It can give pretty good results,
but it does have limitations in an environment where there are many
strong signals.

As with any receiver, if you intend to use it in an area where there are
likely to be strong out-of-band signals, you really want a tight
bandpass filter on the front end, a means to reduce the input level, and
a means to match impedances well.  The SDR1K is much better with the RFE
than without it.  On receive, the RFE is really just a collection of
better input filters and an impedance-matching preamp.

I've just ordered a couple of the AD9446s, and I've cancelled the order for the evaluation board. They seem to be having problems supplying it, and I might as well work with the chips themselves.

40 m at night in the UK really does test a receiver, the band includes several very high-power BC stations.

I've just finished creating the FX2LP part, and have added it to the schematic.

I just had a look at the SDR-14 web site. They don't say anything about RF performance in the specifications.

73, Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
leon.heller@bulldoghome.com