Re: [Xylo-SDR] Architecture review

At the moment we have two boards plus the backplane thought throught.

1. USB etc and backplane interface board with Cyclone II FPGA.
2. Sound card replacement board - Wolfson A/D (or TI etc) for Rx I/Q signals and TVL320 microphone/line input. Dual D/A converters, speakers/headset and I/Q to QSE. Looks like this board could also do CW Tx ( I/Q signals and keyer plus sidetone ) if wanted.

Future boards
3. LTC 2208 with FPGA for Rx. NCO inside FPGA with D/A converter to provide Tx local oscillator. 4. Ham band BPF board, use bus switches so can be switched into Rx or Tx chain. HPF's, LPF's, switchable attenuators and preamp(s). 5. Rf board - QSD/QSE with AD9954 DDS and say 1W output ( only use QSD if we solve NF problems). PIN diode or bus switches for fast Tx/Rx swithcing.

6. DSP board. Eliminates the need for a PC and makes the "Semi-Universal Experimenter's Wonder Widget" (Eric: don't ship the power supply if I win! :-) a standalone box.

Candidate DSPs include: Analog Devices ADSP-218x/9x 16-bit fixed point (free tools) or Blackfin DSP+RISC ($$ tools); and TI TMS320VC33 32-bit floating point (free tools) or TI TMS320C6713 32-bit floating point ($$ tools).

73,

Lyle KK7P