Re: [Xylo-SDR] Architecture review

A FPGA can make a DSP look like a sick puppy, that is one reason I recently bought a Spartan 3 1000K board, 24 multipliers in hardware built in. I looked for examples and found a 4096 point FFT using floating point in 7.6 microseconds, is that fast enough? We would not need it anywhere that fast so we could cut back on the hardware usage.

At 10:42 AM 1/21/2006, you wrote:
> At the moment we have two boards plus the backplane thought throught.
>
> 1. USB etc and backplane interface board with Cyclone II FPGA.
> 2. Sound card replacement board - Wolfson  A/D (or TI etc) for Rx I/Q
> signals and TVL320 microphone/line input.  Dual  D/A converters,
> speakers/headset and I/Q to  QSE.  Looks like this board could also do  CW
> Tx  ( I/Q signals  and keyer plus sidetone ) if wanted.
>
> Future boards
> 3. LTC 2208 with FPGA for  Rx. NCO inside FPGA with  D/A converter to
> provide Tx local oscillator.
> 4. Ham band  BPF board, use bus switches so can be switched into Rx or Tx
> chain. HPF's, LPF's, switchable attenuators and preamp(s).
> 5. Rf board - QSD/QSE with AD9954 DDS and say 1W output ( only use QSD if
> we solve  NF problems). PIN diode or bus switches for fast Tx/Rx swithcing.

6. DSP board.  Eliminates the need for a PC and makes the
"Semi-Universal Experimenter's Wonder Widget" (Eric: don't ship the
power supply if I win! :-) a standalone box.

Candidate DSPs include: Analog Devices ADSP-218x/9x 16-bit fixed point
(free tools) or Blackfin DSP+RISC ($$ tools); and TI TMS320VC33 32-bit
floating point (free tools) or TI TMS320C6713 32-bit floating point ($$
tools).

73,

Lyle KK7P