[Xylo-SDR] Update - 14th Jan 2006

A very productive week. My student finished this week and completed her VHDL code to produce a full duplex audio interface to the PC using the Wolfson A/D converter.

I caught up with her progress today and now have a Verilog version working. Only 48Ks and 16 bit mono but stereo and high speed sampling rate should not prove too difficult.

I used the example code from the fpga4fun web page to code a single bit D/A conveter. This works very well, when clocked at ~3MHz a trivial low pass filter produces a very nice audio output.

For testing I've written a very simple C program on the PC that talkes the incoming USB data from the Xylo/Wolfson and sends it straight back. As long as the PC is not doing anything else this seems to work OK. However if you run a program such as Windows Task Manager then we regularly drop samples. Too early to tell if this is a problem with my Verilog code or the blocking nature of the USB drivers that Xylo provide. Perhaps one of the PC programers could comment on this?

I want to make a few changes to my Verilog code - add stereo and a dual clock FIFO on receive - then I'll post it on SVN.

Soon has Bill has some time he has offered to look at adding this into PowerSDR for us to test.

73's Phil...VK6APH