From: xylo-sdr-bounces@lists.ae5k.us [mailto:xylo-sdr-bounces@lists.ae5k.us] On Behalf Of Ray Anderson
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 5:26 PM
To: xylo-sdr@lists.ae5k.us
Cc: Ray Anderson
Subject: [Xylo-SDR] LVDS buss topologies

At the following URLs there are  Visio and JPEG drawings of  3 common LVDS buss topologies (Point to Point, Multi-Drop, and Multi-point) that might be found on a backplane. Each comes with it’s own challenges and problems.

http://www.hamsdr.com/dnld.aspx?id=144     (Visio format)

http://www.hamsdr.com/dnld.aspx?id=145     (.jpg format)

In the case of the Point to Point topology there is a single driver on the buss and multiple receivers. In the Multi-Point topologies there can be multiple drivers as well as multiple receivers. If I am interpreting the Janus and Lionheart block diagrams correctly it seems that the currently envisioned topology is point-to-point (Janus and Lionheart only). With the desire for extra backplane slots it looks like Multi-Drop. Are there applications envisioned in the future that might place multiple drivers on the buss in the Multi-point topology?

-Ray    WB6TPU