Re: [Xylo-SDR] Janus board connectors

Hi Phil,
Good work and progress on your project, congrats for that.

You are saying that the board is providing full duplex operation. When I looked at the Wolfson and TI chip combo some time ago I could not see how a "standalone" full duplex operation would be possible. By that I mean like what would be required for full duplex satellite transponder operation without an additional PC with soundcard and speakers.

RX channel - ADC to PC (Wolfson ADC)
TX channel - PC to DAC (TLV320AIC23B) === OR ===
Headphone output - PC to to DAC (TLV320AIC23B)
Microphone input - ADC (TLV320AIC23B) to PC

If the headphone output is used for RX audio then the line output cannot be used for TX audio at the same time(TLV320AIC23B). That means RX audio has to go to PC soundcard speakers.

The PWM IQ TX audio may not be useful for any generic applications and will probably depend on specific support. What interface will be provided for that?

No criticism here, just something to reconsider if the solution is optimal. Keep up the good work guys,

Best 73, Helmut

Phil Harman wrote:
[Background - the Janus board is a high performance A/D and D/A converter that connects to the PC via USB. It will provide full duplex operation at up to 192k samples per second at 24 bits. The hardware is based on an FX2 USB interface feeding an FPGA and high performance A/D and D/A converters. The FPGA will also be used in conjunction with a GPS 1pps clock, or stabilized oscillator, to enable any frequency error and drift of the 200MHz DDS clock to be corrected within the PowerSDR software. The hardware and software for the project is being developed by Bill KD5TFD and Phil VK6APH and will be open source.]

We have now successfully tested the TLV320AIC23B as a microphone amplifier and Audio out/Headphone amplifier for the Janus USB high speed A/D and D/A board.